The key to every successful business is delivering to it's target market. Make sure your business website appropriately delivers and continues to respond to it's market.
Here are some must-haves and must-do's for a successful business website:
- Start by identifying how your business website fits into your business strategy. A marketing partner or business consultant can help with this.
- Identify what business problems your business website must solve. Then provide solutions.
- Carefully plan the information structure of your website. This is good for converting visitors and should include strategic SEO for optimum conversion.
- Ensure that each page of your website makes a quick and decisive first impression. Learn to make both visitors and Google happy.
- Ensure your website looks and acts professional if you want potential clients to perceive your business as professional. From helpful website language to a good phone manner.
- Make sure that your business looks more reputable than your competitors. SEO and/or social media alone, are not going to help with this.
- Give your designer or marketing company an opportunity to suggest solutions. Let your designer and/or marketing company help your business.
- Separate personal taste from business. Get a blog or portfolio to indulge personal taste and link your business website to those instead (if appropriate at all).
- Give users 24/7 access to services. For example, online booking or e-commerce can save your business valuable time and is expected these days.
- Give navigation links and headings good space. This makes them easier and quicker to read, thus giving your messages maximum attention.
- Refrain from using too-similar words in headings and navigation. This in fact can work against SEO as well as against visitors.
- Speak your client's language. Be clear and direct when communicating with clients, avoiding technical jargon beyond their understanding or interest.
- Learn what is right for your business. What works for one business is not necessarily always right for yours. Make use of analytics and client feedback.
- If you and your team are genuinely friendly and approachable, have team photos arranged to promote this.
- Utilise client testimonials. Text testimonials are great for SEO if readable (avoid hand written or poor fax scans) and video testimonials are great to impress.
- Be sociable. Social media means your business actively using social media - little activity means little interest.
- Keep content up-to-date. QR code content and blogs need to be kept fresh - don't disappoint client expectations of such content.
- Plan for ongoing changes to your website. The world is ever-changing and your business website needs to get out there and keep involved through news and announcements.