What is 'Point of Sale'?
Point of sale software is what brick-and-mortar retailers use to conduct sales in person. It's sometimes a cash register, computer, or even a tablet where cashiers input products, tally the cost, and conduct the financial transaction. Most POS (or ePOS) software will also communicate with inventory levels to keep everything in balance.
There are two main types of POS software:
On-premise POS software requires you to be on location to use it. Terminals are the most common on-premise POS.
Cloud-based POS software offers more flexibility, as you can use any connected, compatible device to access the dashboard.
What can a POS do?
As well as administering sales transactions, Shopify Point of Sale also completes other functions allowing you to future proof your business:
- Managing inventory across all locations, both online and offline
- Providing sales metrics and reporting
- Managing customer data effectively
- Improving in-store sales
- Adapting to business needs with customizations
- Allowing you the scope to utilise an omnichannel approach
What does 'omnichannel' mean?
Omnichannel or omni-channel is a multichannel approach to sales that seeks to provide customers with a seamless shopping experience, whether they're shopping online from a desktop or mobile device, by telephone, or in a brick-and-mortar store. It also includes the ability to sell on other channels, including social media (Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram), eBay and Amazon and even using 'buy now' buttons on any external blog or website.
Shopify has been created to enable retailers to get up and running easily and quickly whilst allowing future development and growth. Shopify is the only all-in-one commerce solution available with omni-channel capabilities. With simplified store maintenance, tools to manage your business, help with marketing and fantastic support, Shopify is the one and only platform you need for your retail business:
- Get your instore inventory online to keep selling even when you store is closed
- Provide local pick up & delivery
- Sell gift-cards online and redeem instore
- So much more than a Point of Sale - fully sync customer profiles & integrate loyalty programmes to retain and delight your customers
- Provide frictionless returns & exchanges
- Have better visibility to see what is selling
- Build stronger relationships with customers
- Access payments quickly
- Have ONE single place to upload your product to –your shop, your online store, your social media channels, online market places and even with a ‘buy now’ button to add to any existing website or blog!
Overview on Shopify Point of Sale
- Find out more about Shopify Point of Sale
- Learn about features and pricing
- Discover what hardware is available
- Read case studies from retailers who use Shopify
- Download our free Shopify Point of Sale Myth Busting Guide
If you're considering adding point of sale to your existing Shopify plan, or moving from your existing system, please let us know and we can help you with the next steps. Give us a call in 01242 236600 or drop us an email.